In the blazing temperatures of the U.S. desert southwest, Phoenix homeowners need the best windows for hot climates. After all, windows in Arizona homes must withstand the extreme conditions year after year for decades. The beauty, superior energy efficiency, low maintenance needs, and exceptional prices of vinyl windows make them very appealing. But will they really last and continue to look good through many years of exposure to the high heat? Are vinyl window frames strong and durable enough to be the best investment for Phoenix homes?
How Long Do Vinyl Windows Last in the Desert Climate?
High-quality vinyl windows can look beautiful and function ideally for decades in the extreme desert climate. You can expect the best window frame material for hot climates in well-built vinyl windows, which last up to 30 years or more in the Phoenix area, one of the hottest areas of Arizona. The best windows for Arizona heat last up to 40 years or longer at the higher elevations of Flagstaff to the north and Tucson to the south.
How Can You Recognize High-Quality Vinyl Windows?
The vinyl grades used in building energy-efficient windows for hot climates vary between manufacturers. A few general indicators of quality level to help guide you in the right direction toward the best vinyl windows are:
- Rigidity: Some window builders have proprietary vinyl compounds, and those vary substantially in concept and quality between manufacturers. Some are much better formulations for the southwest U.S. climate than others.
- Price: Unusually cheap pricing is a likely indicator of lower quality of vinyl and structural framing materials. That naturally means a less durable window that is more susceptible to rapid deterioration in desert temperatures.
- Warranty: A short manufacturer’s warranty indicates that the window-maker has low confidence in the durability of the product. Choose vinyl windows from a reputable, well-established window manufacturer that offers a highly competitive warranty.
The Best Vinyl Windows for Arizona Homes
How does Energy Shield make the highest quality energy-efficient vinyl windows for desert homes? We use our own mix of additives for durability and coloration, the density of the vinyl consistency, and other material features. Our high-grade virgin vinyl quality, ideal vinyl mil thickness, superior internal frame spacers, and other high-end structural components are the general determinants of the vinyl’s tensile strength, heat resistance, and long-term durability.
Why are Vinyl Windows So Popular for Desert Homes?
Today’s high-grade vinyl windows offer a combination of benefits that altogether make a very appealing product value for Arizona homeowners. Throughout the United States, vinyl windows now account for over 70% of window sales. For both new construction windows and replacement windows, UV-protected vinyl-clad framing is the overwhelming choice. That is due to the exceptional value vinyl windows offer in their combined:
- Exceptional energy efficiency
- Long-term durability
- Beautiful, smooth, rich coloring
- Very low maintenance requirements
- Lower price than wood, fiberglass, or aluminum
Vinyl Windows Never Need Painting: Their coloring is infused into the vinyl raw material during the manufacturing process. Having color throughout the material avoids the risk of paint peeling in the heat, which is another feature that makes vinyl options the best replacement windows for hot climates. However, manufacturers do paint vinyl in some cases, using specialized paint formulas with heat additives designed to prevent paint from peeling in prolonged hot climates. For example, black vinyl windows are made using this process.
NOTE: Painting vinyl windows yourself can void the warranty.
Vinyl Windows Designed for Desert Homes – Energy Shield
For the ultimate in energy efficient vinyl windows for Arizona homes, choose windows designed by Energy Shield, the leading manufacturer of high performance windows for hot climate zones. Energy Shield offers our industry’s best warranty. Buying factory-direct gives our customers important benefits, including big savings and service from factory-trained installation specialists.