Have you been looking for a window type that perfectly brings your style and elegance but at a pocket-friendly price? Energy Shield Windows and Doors has the perfect solution for you with classic single hung windows. Having been in business since 1966, we have continually designed and come up with single hung windows that are perfect for the Arizona climate. We are a certified general contractor and a member of BBB with A+ rating.
Don’t forget to check out our discounts going on now, PLUS we make it easy to get new sliding windows with $0 down, 0% financing available for on approved credit for our replacement windows, so contact us today to schedule your free in-home estimate!
Features of Single Hung Windows
The Energy Shield 7000 Series single hung window are a traditional style that opens from the bottom by raising the window sash upward. The top glass in the single hung is fixed in place and does not open. This style includes a Half Screen across the bottom leaving the top half as a full view picture window. The opening sash is traditionally one half of the height, however since every window is custom made to fit your home you can specify the height of the sash. This style of window is often used in the dining area to provide a clear view through the window while seated at a table so that the horizontal sash frame is below eye level.
- Tilt in sash for easy cleaning
- Aluminum fixed meeting rail provides superior structural strength
- Perfectly balanced block and tackle system allows sash to rest at any opening height
- The 7000 series provides excellent performance and energy efficiency with dual pane low-E glass
- Argon gas is standard
- 50% of the window is sealed airtight with premium dust seals to seat the sash tight
Pros of Single Hung Windows?
Single hung windows have a top sash which is fixed in place while the bottom one is operable. Installing a single hung window will have the following merits:
- Costs – as opposed to their double hung counterparts, single hung windows are less expensive as only one of the sashes is operable. This results in less material usage and therefore the lower cost. This is ideal if you want to have your windows replaced on a shoestring budget but you do not want to compromise on your property’s aesthetic value.
- Energy efficiency – the evolving of glass types has resulted in the creation of single hung windows that are extremely energy efficient. Since only one of the sashes moves, this can result in more heat being retained inside the house.
- Space – single hung windows are ideal for smaller rooms as they are smaller. As they do not open outward, they are great for squeezed places with higher traffic. They allow for natural lighting without eating up on wall space.
- Durability – this will to a large extent be influenced by the material used and how well you maintain them. Vinyl windows have been proven to last for longer durations. Though wood frames give your home a natural and warm look, they might not be as durable. Fiberglass frames can be made to imitate wood to give the same charming elegance. They are more durable and need little maintenance.
What Single Hung Windows Designs are Available?
While this is a window design with a single movable sash, you will be blown away by the vast styles, finishing options, shapes, and trims that we have for you. We ensure that we have what will blend in perfectly with the architectural design and style of your property.
Frequently Asked Questions for Single Hung Windows
Both single hung and double hung windows are designed to slide vertically and have an upper and lower sash, which is the frame that holds the glass. With double hung windows, you can move both the bottom and the top half up and down. However, with single hung windows, you can only move the bottom half, whereas the top half remains fixed.
Because the top half of single hung windows doesn't move, this type of window can be challenging to clean. If the window is on the first floor, you can simply clean the window while standing outside. But if the window can’t be reached from outside, even with a ladder, you may need to remove the lower sash to thoroughly clean the window. If you have single hung windows with a tilt design, you may be able to clean the window from inside without removing the glass.
For best results, use a squeegee to clean a single hung window, and avoid using an abrasive cleaner. Instead, simply use warm water mixed with a small amount of mild detergent to avoid streaks. It's also helpful to use chamois cloths to wash and dry the windows for a polished look.
No! Single hung windows are designed to be installed in a specific orientation. If you install them otherwise, such as horizontally, you’re likely to have problems with water and moisture leaking through the window. This can lead to a buildup of dirt, mold and allergens as well as other problems, requiring single hung window repair.
If you go ahead with single hung window installation that's incorrect, the manufacturer may void the warranty, which means you could be stuck with a leaky window that you can’t return or exchange.
A window’s U-FACTOR is the amount of heat that’s lost from a room through the window. A low number means a window is very effective in providing insulation. However, the number to look for depends on where you live. A relatively high U-FACTOR may be fine for warm climates, such as Phoenix and the surrounding area.
SHGC stands for solar heat gain coefficient, which measures the amount of heat from the sun that comes into a room through a window. A window’s SHGC is indicated on a scale of 0 to 1, with a low number indicating that the window is very effective in blocking the sun's heat.
From us! We provide free in-home quotes and won’t pressure you to make a purchase. There's absolutely no middleman mark-up on our products. Instead, you’ll buy factory direct, which means you’ll get the best price and quality, as well as single hung window repair. We install, warranty and service everything we sell.
Living in Arizona, you need single hung windows that are specifically engineered for heat reflection, dust control and noise reduction. We understand the importance of providing you with the best products and quality single hung window installation to meet your needs.