Federal Income Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency in Window Replacement and Doors
A number of tax credits for residential energy efficiency have been renewed. These tax credits are available for purchases made in 2016, as well as retroactive to purchases made in 2015. ENERGY STAR products eligible for tax credits are independently certified to save energy, save money and protect the environment. Use up to 30% less energy in your home by outfitting it with ENERGY STAR products available across more than 70 categories.*
2016 Federal Tax Credits
- Tax Credit: 10% of cost up to $500 or a specific amount from $50-$300.
(Not including installation costs, up to $200 for windows and skylights; up to $500 for doors. Cumulative maximum tax credits for windows, doors, and skylights for all years combined is $500)
- Expires: December 31, 2016
- Details: Must be an existing home & your principal residence. New construction and rentals do not apply.
- Requirements: Must be ENERGY STAR certified.
Tax Credit for ENERGY STAR Qualified Windows, Doors and Skylights
To be eligible for the credit, windows, doors, and skylight must:
- Meet the ENERGY STAR program requirements
- Be installed in a taxpayer's primary residence
- Be installed between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2016
Homeowners may receive a tax credit equal to 10% of the product cost (installation costs may NOT be included) up to:
- $200 for eligible windows and skylights
- $500 for eligible doors
Homeowners may receive no more than $500 total for all energy efficiency tax credits. If you claimed an energy efficiency credit in a previous taxable year, please consult a tax professional or visit www.irs.gov to determine your remaining eligibility for this credit.
For more information about this credit or those from previous years, visit www.irs.gov and see the instructions for Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits. Look for ENERGY STAR When Purchasing Products
Windows, doors, and skylights that are eligible for a federal tax credit must meet strict criteria. ENERGY STAR makes it easy to find the right products. Look for the ENERGY STAR label to be sure the product you are buying is eligible for the tax credit.