Click to jump to section:
Today’s best aluminum windows are energy-efficient and highly durable, even in the rugged climate conditions here in the southwest U.S. desert. But, it’s important to know how to maintain aluminum windows to ensure that yours will perform well and last throughout their maximum lifespan.
Your Energy Shield window installation specialist will perform initial cleaning, to make sure your new aluminum windows look their very best. Then, use the quick guide below for routine aluminum window cleaning and maintenance. Use the Dos and Don’ts of aluminum window care, to keep your new windows looking and functioning like new for many years to come.
Aluminum Window Cleaning & Maintenance Dos & Don’ts
Clean and maintain your aluminum windows on the regular schedule outlined in the Aluminum Windows Cleaning Schedule provided below. Use these tips for aluminum window care Dos and Don’ts, to avoid damage and preserve the long life and ideal functioning of your windows.
Aluminum Window Cleaning Dos:
- Use only non-abrasive glass cleaners and a sponge or soft cloth to clean window glass.
- Use a mild household soap and water solution to clean the frames.
- Use a firm cleaning brush (but not a wire brush) to clean aluminum frames thoroughly.
- To prevent excessive wear or damage, use a soft cloth to dry glass, frames, hinges, and sealant.
- Use a “cleaning lubricant” in spring locks and on hardware, to help prevent rust and corrosion.
- After thoroughly cleaning the hardware, apply a silicone lubricant to preserve the hardware.
Aluminum Window Cleaning Don’ts:
- Don’t use abrasive scrubbing pads or brushes, or steel wool to clean aluminum window frames.
- Don’t use abrasive cleaners, cleaning solvents, or other harsh chemicals on aluminum frames.
- Don’t use high-pressure spray cleaning equipment or nozzles to clean aluminum windows.
- Don’t allow the spray from irrigation sprinklers to reach aluminum windows.
How to Clean Aluminum Windows
Use recommended cleaners for aluminum window frames, to help prevent premature oxidation or pitting of aluminum surfaces. You can use regular glass cleaner in liberal amounts. Or, to make your own mild soapy water solution, mix 2 cups of mild detergent in 1 half-gallon of water.
- Use a stiff cleaning brush with soft bristles to scrub off tough dirt and grime.
- Then, rewash the frames with a sponge.
- Thoroughly rinse the window frames with clean water.
- Dry the aluminum windows in a circular motion using a soft cloth.
Ensure that you remove all traces of cleaning agents, to prevent staining and premature oxidation of aluminum frames.
Aluminum Windows Cleaning Schedule
Without proper care, even new windows look dirty and the frames become grimy. They may begin to stick or jam, making opening and closing the windows difficult. But, by following this simple schedule for periodic care, you can keep your beautiful high-quality aluminum windows looking and functioning as good as new for many years:
- Monthly: Clean your window glass and aluminum frames.
- Twice Yearly: Inspect the hardware, closing and locking mechanisms, and rollers, and thoroughly clean inside the door tracks at least twice yearly.
- Yearly: Examine the perimeters of the aluminum window frames and check the weather-stripping for cracks, damage, or dry brittle material. If your windows have double glass panes, check for signs of moisture between the panels.
Call your aluminum window maintenance expert for help, if needed.
For Arizona’s Best Aluminum Windows
For 25 years we have been building the best aluminum windows Arizona has to offer. Energy Shield energy-efficient aluminum windows with thermal breaks and other critical design feature to help lower your electricity bills and keep your home cooler. Our high-performance aluminum windows are designed especially for maximum efficiency here in the U.S. desert southwest climate. Buying factory direct means our customers get the lowest possible price, the most knowledgeable service, and trouble-free warranty coverage.
Call Energy Shield Windows & Door Company LLC, Phoenix, AZ, (623) 936-3758, or use our online contact request to schedule a free in-home bid for energy-efficient aluminum windows or doors!